The function of arrow rests is pretty simple. Arrow rests are accessories that have been designed to hold an arrow in position as you aim, till you fire the shot. This not with standing, some arrow rests have been designed with features that are unique from each other. Such features make some to be more expensive than the others, some more sophisticated to install than others, some more durable than others and even some more effective than the others. For such reasons, it is worth noting that not all the arrow rests are good for hunting but only the best. How then would you know that this is the best arrow rest in the lot?
>> All You Wanted To Know About The Best Crossbow Bolts
>> A Complete Buying Guide to the Best Bowfishing Bow
>> All You Wanted to Know About A Best Bow Stabilizer
>> The Best Crossbow Hunting Tips & Tricks
Arrow Rest Types
There are a number of arrow rest types for bow shooters to choose from, with those using the modern center-shot bows having a wider option than those with the traditional bows. Modern bows have generally been tapped and drilled to the same standard AMO specs. Due to this, almost any arrow rest brand will virtually fit any bow. Four main categories of arrow rest types exist. These are the:
- Containment Arrow Rests
- Shoot-Thru Arrow Rests
- 3D & Specialty Rests
- Pressure/Plunger Rests and the
- Drop Away Arrow Rests
Containment arrow rests and the drop away types are the most popular.
- Containment Arrow Rests
These are hunters’ favorites because they completely eliminate the risks of arrows falling or dropping from rest. They rest either by simultaneously holding the arrow in three different spots of by totally encircling the arrow till a shot is made. These rests mainly range between $30 and $60.
- Drop Away Arrow Rests
These are mainly designed to drop out of the way thus eliminating any fletching clearance concerns. The rest holds the arrow in position at fill draw but upon firing, it drops away moving completely out of the arrows path. It is yet another great favorite of hunters, with most of them costing from $50-100.
What Type of Arrow Rest Should I Choose?
The right choice of an arrow rest is essential in shooting if a hunter wants to experience the full potential of their bows. The rest ought to be compatible with your style of shooting along with the arrow types you use. The fact that you are a hunter or a target shooter will also play a role in determining the arrow rest type you should go for. Before rushing out to grab the first arrow rest you come across, it is important to consider a few factors below.
The Perfect Arrow Rest
If only it was possible for you to land on the perfect arrow rest, you would be making consistent accurate shots by now.
- Secure Position: By now, the arrow rest would be ensuring that your arrow is securely held in the position where you want it to be, no matter what angle you are holding the bow.
- Whisper silent Shot: You would also be producing quiet shots thus increasing your chances of killing the game. The more the noise produced by the rest, the more likelihood of the game to hear the noise and take off. the best arrow rests are therefore those that come with noise dampeners and are as quiet as possible.
- Consistency: The rest would by now be giving you consistent release by reducing contact with the shaft.
- Durability: as you consider choosing these accessories, just like with any other accessory out there, the best arrow rests are the durable one. Go for an all metal arrow rest design for this purpose.
Unfortunately, the perfect arrow rest in most cases is not based on the features but the type and style of a hunters shooting.
The Best Hunting Arrow Rest
Durability is one of the main factors of consideration when it comes to choosing the best arrow rest for compound bow hunting. You need an accessory that will securely hold and keep the bolt in the right angled position. In other words, the rest ought to be holding the bolt in a pointing down position or a level position if you are shooting vertically and horizontally respectively.
The rest should also hold the bolt in position as you draw your bow. With a deviation of even just one inch, the possibilities that your shot will wade off are very high. The arrow rest for hunters must also be quiet enough to avoid startling the game after you make a shot.
The Best Target Shooting Arrow Rest
If target shooting is your goal, the qualities of an arrow rest you want to go for are definitely less than those qualities of the arrow rest for hunters. Since you won’t be wading through the bushes and woods, you really need not to consider durability as such. All you need is a lightweight product which can easily be adjusted even at the middle of the sporting activity. Most shooters greatly prefer the prong style arrow rest. This is because of the accuracy of shots characterized with these rests in addition to their ease in adjustment.
Center Shot Alignment
At least there is a feature that cuts across the different styles and types of shooting. Center point alignment is a consideration that applies to both target as well as hunting. Center shot alignment allows the nock point and the rest to be in a straight line thus allowing the arrow to fly along a straight trajectory or rather path. Addition of plunger adjustment can come in handy to help prevent any interference or deviation with the center alignment.
Reviews of the 5 Best Arrow Rests
New Archery Apache Drop Away Arrow Rest (Camo, Right-hand)
The New Archery Apache is the best arrow rest for those who are on a budget. Its pricing is inarguably a plus, bearing in mind that it is also appealing in terms of quality and features. The product has been built for different weather conditions thanks to the rugged all metal construction.
- Drop away rest
- Sturdy Rugged all metal design
- 360 degree sound dampening
- Multiple option availability
- Built for with standing any weather condition
- Neither wrenches nor tools are required to make adjustments
- Super quick operation
- Laser graduation facilitates snap fine tuning
- It is very affordable
- It works flawlessly after it has been set
- It requires neither wrenches nor tools for adjustments
- High quality rugged construction
- Whisper quiet operation
- Its only for the right handed
- Not very easy to use as it takes quite some considerable time to setup
- The instructions aren’t as clear in the manual
The New Archery comes to us with a bang of features but silence in performance. It is a high quality, high performance and very durable arrow rest that should not miss in your hunting accessories.
Ripcord Fall Away Arrow Rest
As far as drop down arrow rests are concerned, Ripcord produces some of the best arrow rests that are trusted by hunters. The Ripcord Fall Away Arrow Rest is known for its 100% bounce back elimination among other innovations, no wonder it is America’s favorite of all the fall-away rests available in the market.
- Internal break system for flight consistency
- Three-position arm adjustable fits all bow
- Drop down rest to keep your arrow on
- ACE Micro Adjust System
- Black in color
- Launcher can manually be locked in position
- Quick and easy installation
- Instant disengagement at fill draw hence complete arrow clearance
- Internal dampener for enhanced quiet shot
- Number one favorite drop down rest for Americans
- Unique micro adjusting capability
- Quiet performance
- Though it has a dampener, it is still noisier than the fixed rests
- Moving parts have a breaking potential
The New Ripcord rest has emerged as one of the best arrows rests that will makes hunters better shooters, not forgetting that it reduces tuning hassles. With an ACE Micro Adjust system that gives the hunter the rest micro tuning ability, you have a feature that is founder nowhere else within the arrow rest industry.
Quality Archery Products HDX Arrow Rest
Whether you are a hunter or a target shooter, consistency in making shots is important. There is probably no arrow that makes more consistent shots that the Quality Archery HDX arrow rest. With a breakaway design that limits interference with the arrow path, a feature that also improves the safety of bow drawing and release.
- A thumb lock
- Precision CNC aluminum
- Noise dampening laser cut felt
- Total arrow containment
- Full draw indicator
- Patented lock down technology (LDT)
- Patented Advanced Vibration Technology (AVT)
- Patented Velocity Drop-Away Technology (VDT)
- Sleek curved capture bar that enhances versatility
- Easy adjust timing cord that has a chord lock
- Versatility improved by the redesigned vertical
- Excellent customer care service
- Added myriad spare parts bonus
- A useful thumb lock
- Beautiful packaging and easy to follow instructions in a DVD
- Zero fletching contact
- The most silent among the drop away rests
- Easy wearing when compared to others
- Difficulty in Intermediate installation & consequent tuning
This is an arrow rest that features a sleek design thus making it look great when mounted. Its lightweight and sleek design ensures that it does not interfere with the balance of your product. And for increased shot accuracy, a patented vibration reduction technology is employed in the design.
Vapor Trail LimbDriver Pro V Rest
This is a new streamlined universal bracket that features added rigidity and strength. A newly contoured bumper has also been incorporated in the design for increased longevity and noise reduction. These are the features that make this product to climb on to the top of the best arrow rest list. No wonder, it was able to win the Bow hunting World Reader’s GOLD Award in 2014 and a SILVER in the following year.
- Full capture containment cage feature
- Free-floating launcher arm
- Adjustable spring tension
- 70% arrow shot cycle support
- Cage moleskin
- Limb pad
- Multiple and custom color options
- Activation cord
- Arrow holder
- All metal ultra simple set up design
- Very accurate
- Simple to set up
- Quite too pricy
The full capture containment cage of this product improves the efficiency of keeping the arrow wherever you want it to go. Free floating launcher on the other hand together with the other patented features work in conjunction with each other to even improve the efficiency further. If you need something unique, and one which has features that are absolutely unique to it alone, then this is the product.
QAD Ultra-Rest Drop Away Right Hand Rest for BowTech
QAD receives credit for taking the drop away arrow rests to a new high with its new Ultra-rest HDX. With QAD rests being known for their great features, this new Ultra-Rest Drop Away accessory has all these features in addition to its revolutionary feature.
- Noise dampening laser cult felt
- Sleek curved capture bar that improves the versatility
- Lock Down Technology
- Advanced Vibration Technology
- Total arrow containment
- Precision CNC aluminum, Delrin and stainless steel components
- Break-away safety feature
- Clamp of Cord lock for easy adjusting of the timing cord
- Horizontal. Over-travel and vertical adjustments
- Made in the USA
- Excellent rest
- Easy to use
- Super quiet
- Overall exceptional quality with impeccable craftsmanship
- Great performance
- Overall value for money
- Compatible with most of the bows
- It’s quite expensive for beginners to afford
Given the dynamics of the market, if you ever happen to use this arrow rest, no other product will ever try to compete it as your favorite. It is an easy to use product with overall exceptional quality. This is just the best arrow rest that features all the bells and whistles you are looking for to boost your hunting expeditions.
How to Set Up a Drop-Away Arrow Rest Without Using a Bow Press
The above mentioned arrow rests are some of the best the market has to offer. Depending on the performance needs as well as your budget, choose from the list above. It is however important to mention that though qualities such as durability and noise reduction are important factors of consideration when choosing the best arrow rest, let your type and style of shooting be your first guiding factor.