Maybe you are wondering what a crossbow bolt is. This is just another name for arrows. Needless to say, whether you call your accessory a bolt, or an arrow, there are aspects of consideration as you go around looking for a crossbow projectile to buy. It is worth noting that the term bolt is specifically applied to the projectiles used with crossbows. The term therefore can’t be in reference to projectiles working with the re-curve bows.
1. Crossbow Bolt Anatomy
Before one can go shopping for a crossbow bolt, they need to be conversant with the anatomy of the bolts. This is the only sure way of being able to assess the existing features of the bows of choice on the market. In other words, you need a clear understanding of what you are looking for.
a. The Shaft
The bolt comes with a shaft, which is essentially the primary structure of these projectiles. It is also the heart of the projectile as each of the other parts connects here. Often, the shaft features aluminum or carbon materials or a blend of the two. The carbon material is great since other than resisting undesirable bending and splintering, the materials is also safe and light enough for enhanced bolt aerodynamics.
b. The Spine, Weight and the Length
A crossbow bolt’s spine is also referred to as the bolt’s stiffness. Different bolt spines come with different stiffness degrees. The weight of these bolts on the other hand plays a great role in bow tuning for maximum accuracy. Grain is the weight unit used in reference to these bolts. Measurement may be in GPI (Grains per Inch) or total grains. Let the weight be as light as you can manage to move around with but not too light. Very lightweight bolts aren’t the best in accuracy.
c. Bolt Nocks
There are three plastic fletching that come at the shaft’s end and this is where the nock is attached. These parts, also referred to as vanes, are very important parts of the accessory. This is the part that supports flight once the bolt has been released. The fletching spins the bolt on its axis thus increasing the arrow’s strength and stability as it is on flight. Crossbow bolts are not constructed with fletching made of feathers.
The nock comes at the end of the arrow’s shaft and features plastic or aluminum design. Two main nock styles that are present are the: Half moon styles and the Flat styles. Style depends on preference with some coming with lights to make it easy to follow the shot.
d. Bolt Heads
Different bolt heads styles exist with each being ideal for specific uses and situations. The point types include breadheads and target points.
e. Target Points
These are also referred to as field points are great accessories when it comes to target practicing. Since the points aren’t intended for piercing animal flesh, there is no sharpness on the target points. The tips are round enough to pierce through a target with lots of ease. The best bolt heads are those that get screwed into the shaft rather than those that are glued in. the weight of this type of bolt heads range between 125 and 150 grains.
These are razor sharp and pointed heads come as removable blades, expandable/mechanical blades and fix blade styles. The heads are solid, measuring 125-150 grins and come in a pack of at most six and at least three heads. These are the best arrow tips when you are hunting prey and should also screw in the tip of the shaft. They are simple and crafted out of steel.
Some arrowheads are expandable. These are the best crossbow bolts for most of the hunters because of the great damage they cause upon impact. These styles are also great in elimination of mid-flight velocity reduction issues. It is worth noting though that the more the expandable features of an arrow head, the better the accessory in providing bloodshot.
2. Additional Crossbow Bolt Buying Advice
- Ensure that you target points and broadheads need to have the same weight. In other words, the weight should match the weight of your initial crossbow bolt.
- It is okay to buy heavier than recommended arrowheads but be sure of losing out on speed
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations as you shop for these accessories. This is a sure way of ending up with the best crossbow bolt
- Don’t go too light as this way; you may end up with dry firing actions that pose potential equipment damage and personal injury.
- Keep in mind that speed isn’t everything. There are times when moderate speeds may result in greater accuracy and more bloody shots than the high speeds.
- Heavier bolts leads to quieter shots as well as extended string and equipment cable life
- Choosing carbon shafts is prudent as far as durability is concerned. In addition, carbon is lighter than aluminum, not to mention that it retains straightness for longer periods of use.
Reviewing 5 of the Best Crossbow Bolts
Carbon Express PileDriver Fletched Carbon Crossbolt with 4-Inch Vanes, 6-Pack
The product features a design meant to punch and thereafter penetrate with incredible power. The PileDriver crossbow thus comes with a heavy carbon construction for maximum possible kinetic energy that results into the maximum knockdown force. And with breakthrough construction, spine consistency is ensures leading to enhanced accuracy. On the other hand, the composite material offers incredible durability for ages.
- Sorted for uniformity in weight as well as straightness
- Features a massive penetration design
- Comes with installed six-moon nocks together with 6 flat nocks
- 0,348 inch diameter and straightness of ± 0.004-Inch
- Spine consistency is enhanced by the advanced construction of the product.
- Great product for hunters interested in a product featuring great penetration.
- The bolts feature 4-inch standard vanes with ranging colors
- Inserted moon nocks
- 6 universal flat nocks
- High durability even at such great impacts
- Comes with great accuracy
- Great knockout power
- Comes with maximum penetration
- Essential 100-grain field points haven’t been included in the package
- Some of the arrows have been reported to be less straight thus thinking their own mind during shooting.
The Carbon Express PileDriver features as one of the best crossbow bolts for many hunters, thanks to its great performance in durability and accuracy.
BloodSport Carbon Crossbow Bolt Black Pack of 6
These bolts feature superior design quality at competitive prices which can easily be afforded by even the entry level hunters who are still on budget. It has been constructed with a weight of 325 grains and is dominantly paired with the high speed crossbows that are in the market today. The BloodSport bolts have also been designed with a straightness of +/- .003 inches thus ensuring that it retains enough energy to make fatal shots. Quality together with accuracy, are all what makes these bolts the best crossbow bolts for hunters.
- BloodSport shots
- High quality engineered crossbow bolts
- Great performance with standard 150 pound crossbows as well as with the high-speed bows
- Pack of 6
- 20 inches in length
- Features four fletched straight vanes, with one being red and the rest white
- 9.0 GPI
- Great design for high energy, high speed crossbars
- It comes with improved accuracy
- Great straightness tolerance thus enhanced high velocity retention
- Some of the bolts in a good number of the packs you but will come with bent fletching
- Accuracy and velocity are highly interfered with by the bolts which have notches that aren’t aligned with the fletching.
Checking the reviews will be a great why of gaining the confidence that you have the right bolt in your possession. Just be certain that your research is being carried out from reliable sources as this is a sure way of knowing that the Bloodsport Carbon Crossbow Bolt Black is yours to grabs.
Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch Arrows with Field Points (5 Pack)
These bolts come as 20”, 8.1oz products that feature lightweight but strong and sturdy carbon shafts. The wall thickness of the bolts has been improved for additional durability. The 5-pack of arrows comes with 24F filed points together with moon nocks. At 13.78 grains/inch and matched with 100-grain point, optimal accuracy together with target penetration are greatly provided for by the products.
- 13.78 grains/inch
- Lightweight carbon shafts
- 5-pack arrows with 20 inch 8.1 ounce specifications for each
- Comes with 24F Filed points & Moon nocks
- 5-year limited warranty
- Fast and impressive shipping
- Great product construction
- The bolts work as advertised and flies true
- The bolts are durable, strong, aligned or rather straight and light
- Other thicker and studier brands are available
- The bolts may be far too light for some hunters.
The Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow comes with great performance, thanks to its durability, enhanced accuracy and great manufacturer warranty. The product rarely disappoints, no wonder, a good number of professional hunters consider it as their best bet. Read its review, look at its ratings, do your research, buy the product and marvel at its performance
SPEED TRACK 60pcs for 50lb 80lb Pistol Crossbow Cobra Small Bolts Plastic Sharp Arrows
In the SPEED TRACK is a crossbow bolt that does not only feature great performance but also aesthetics. With two random colors, in the pack are 60 black and yellow colored arrows. Each of these arrow measure 16 cm and can efficiently be used for the 80 pound as well as the 50 pound style crossbows. All said the baseline still is the fact that this arrow works with lightweight construction and maximum accuracy.
- Designed for the 80 pound and 50 pound style crossbows
- It is lightweight and designed for accuracy
- Comes with 16 cm specification
- SPEED TRACK arrows featuring premium sharp design
- 60 pieces
- Premium quality sharp arrows
- Improved accuracy
- Lightweight construction
- High velocity
- You get what you pay for
- They easily get rusty
- Their tips easily breaks off
These are arrow bolts characterized with speed. The arrows, feature quality and sharp design for durability and accuracy in performance. To boost the performance even further, the product features a lightweight design. In a nutshell, as far as accuracy is concerned, this is one of the best crossbow bolts.
Extra Survival Aluminum Crossbow Arrow/bolt Black 20" 6 Piece Set
This is yet another great product that features in the list of the best crossbow bolts. The aluminum shaft of the product features a black color. It is a crossbow dart that is compatible with crossbows ranging between 120 pounds and 150 pounds. Its design ensures that a swift speed is delivered and difficult impact guaranteed. Other features include a threaded steel tip that is easily removable for easy swapping. It also has a durable fletching together with indication hues with a brief plus exact nock coming below the fletching.
- Half-Moon Nock End
- 20-inch Aluminum Arrows
- Field Tips included
- Set of 6
- Threaded steel tip for head swapping
- Black aluminum shaft
- Compatible with crossbows between 120 pounds and 150 pounds.
- Improved accuracy
- Enhanced durability
- Compatible with a wide range of crossbows.
- Easy head interchangeability
- Nocks come off the back after a succession of shots
- Some bolts may come crooked and easy to break
This crossbow bolt features a very rare threaded steel tip with interchangeable heads. Within its range, the Extra Survival Aluminum is one of the best crossbow bolts.
For your best crossbow bolt, your pick will depend mainly depend on your budget. The Extra Survival Aluminum Crossbow Bolt scores as the very best product for those who are on budget. On the other hand, if you are ready to sacrifice more, you never know, maybe the Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch Bolt would be your best bet. All in all, go for a bolt that is durable and well aligned to maximize its accuracy and performance as a whole.