It is not always an easy experience for a beginner to choose a product they aren't yet very much acquainted with. This phenomenon applies to the pistols too. A newbie may find choosing a pistol to be a daunting task and undertaking, just to say the least. That is why we found it fit to come up with this beginner buyer guide to help bridge this gap. To be specific, we will talk about the 40 cal pistol. And how do you end up with the best 40 cal pistol?
Factors of Consideration when choosing Best .40 Pistol
40 cal pistols, which are essentially semi-automatic handguns, come in the double-action or single-action designs. The double-action pistols usually come with an exposed hammer. Your first shot will be characterized with a long and heavy press that is not associated with any slack. The second shot comes with some slack but features a much lighter press. In a nutshell, the first shot is similar to a revolver’s shot whereas the second is similar to that of a semi-auto. Such a pistol isn’t the best bet for a beginner.
The other option is a single action design, with the Glock being a good example. This is the best choice for a newbie and professionals too, as it is the easiest semi-auto pistol type to operate. All you need to do is to load the gun followed by a trigger press to shoot.
b) The Trigger
Don’t be fooled by the misconception that the lower the trigger pull, the better the handgun. Knowing how a trigger works will help us to know which one between the lower and higher trigger pull is recommendable.
All triggers will come with some slack when the trigger is pulled to the rear. The trigger pull is the effort needed to take this trigger to the rear, which essentially is what taking a shot is.
It is important to note that some technical errors will need to be fixed when pulling the trigger if at all accurate shots are to be made. Such errors include an improper trigger press and the gun being squeezed with the shooters entire hand. Just go for the highest possible trigger pull that will not jeopardize your shooting comfort.
If you are looking for a concealable pistol, look for the biggest possible for Concealability. Smaller guns are harder to operate hence it wouldn’t be prudent to go for guns that are way too small.
On the contrary, bigger guns come with lower the recoil hence the better the accuracy. It is also worth noting that smaller and lighter guns come with less inertia hence the increased felt recoil.
And it is also common knowledge that smaller guns have smaller operation parts thus making it a tall order to operate them. You will really favor yourself by going for the full-size guns.
d) Weapon Controls
The most caution that I can give you is that you ensure the gun controls aren’t difficult to operate. If the controls are difficult to use, your gun may end up being unusable. One important consideration is external safety control features. In case the gun has any, let the safety feature be easy to operate using the thumb of the same hand firing the gun. If that is not the case, you may never use such a safety feature anyway.
Also, try to avoid going to the multiple function controls as these may be a bit confusing. All in all, as far as controls are concerned, try the guns, so that you can have a feel of what you would really want and need.
One of the reasons why you need to understand the anatomy of a gun is so that you only spend when necessary. Some guns come with features that are needed by others but aren’t needed by you, yet others still come with too many features, most of which you probably don’t need. Unfortunately, the more the features, the more expensive the gun would be. The idea that the more expensive the hand gun is, the better, is a misconception that you must not follow. Know exactly what you need and go for that.
Reviews of the 5 Best .40 Pistols on the market
In this Smith & Wesson .40 S&W Performance Center Centerfire is a pistol that is compact in size but has been designed to produce a full-size performance. These are two very important features sought after in any carry pistols for concealment. With a specially constructed recoil spring assembly together with a polymer absorber bushing, this model will allow you easy cleaning and a longer barrel life in overall.
Benefits of the Product
- Reputation: It has the reputation of featuring better accuracy performance, reduced recoil and above all, they are very reliable and dependable for self-defense
- Ergonomics: It comes with an 18-degrees grip angle that is credited for the supply of smooth, dependable and reliable operation. You will shoot with comfort
- Quality Construction: Features a polymer frame, which is a material that’s meant to ensure the durability of the gun. And the slides and barrels are stainless steel constructed for the same reasons. You can thus use the gun in any terrain without any fear.
- Portability: It is lightweight and small in size. These are important when it comes to Concealability, even when you are putting on minimal clothing. The better side of the whole issue is the fact that the compact size doesn’t interfere with its performance. The gun still provides full-size performance.
- The factory installed sights aren’t the best and you may need to change them
All in all, if you are looking for a versatile .40 pistol that you can use for almost any shooting function and in almost any environment, maybe you need to consider this product. Its construction is such that it offers accuracy and overall performance, especially when quick response is needed.
It is a single/double-action type of pistols that gives the real description of perfection. It comes with an innovative locked-botch breech together with a rotating stainless steel barrel that is very reliable as far as durable performance is concerned. The Beretta PX4 not only features the .40 series but the 9mm and .45 ACP series as well. Its unique features are what make it sell like a hot cake and they include:
Benefits of the Product
- Reversible Magazine Release: The PX$ storm .40 S&W sub compact series comes with a 10+1 round magazine, whereas the JXF4F21 .40 S&W Storm features a 14+1 magazine capacity. Both the magazines feature reversible release hence the ease of use and versatility
- Comfortable: The pistol features an ergonomic design and comes with some of the best shooting feel and experiences. It is one of the most comfortable guns you will ever experience shooting with thanks to the comfortable grip and the low recoil.
- Aesthetic Appeal: It is among the most beautiful guns you will ever shoot with amongst the handgun family.
- Installation and Customization: Comes with the Picatinny accessory rail type and a back strap insert for easy installation of most gun accessories and custom fitted grip respectively
- Heavy side tension
This is the latest pistol to have been released by Beretta. It features a rotating barrel technology that considerably reduces the gun’s recoil, thus allowing for better overall accuracy. You need nothing more than speed, accuracy and comfortable shooting in a gun. More than just these three have been provided by this gun.
Coming in the .40 S&W series; the Glock 27 introduced a revolutionary handgun design that has made a good number of the law enforcement officers in the USA and beyond to vest much of their trust upon this product. It comes with a Back strap design that allows for instant grip customization for easy adaptation with the size of ant shooter’s hand. It comes with solid cold hammered steel barrels that have been designed to produce consistent performance forever.
Benefits of the Product
- Reliability: Anyone who has used the Glock series before knows how much reliable the guns within the series are. The Glock 27 comes as a continuation of this heritage. It will not disappoint you when reliable performance is needed.
- Flexibility and Versatility: Its design is such that it can universally be used for law enforcement, home defense as well as for self-defense applications.
- Construction: It has a textured almost indestructible polymer frame thereby guaranteeing durability and reliability. It is a compact gun, constructed to perform.
- Safety: It comes with advanced safety features. These include a safe action trigger system, a drop safety, and a firing-pin safety. These make it almost impossible for the gun to discharge if it hasn’t been asked to.
- It is a bit heavy and bulky to carry in jacket pockets. It's also quite heavy to carry on in ankle holsters.
This is an ambidextrous handgun that is one of the best .40 pistols on the market. Both its internal and external features are really appealing. It is a handgun to beat.
It is a rugged, reliable, dependable and ergonomically designed handgun that comes with an excellent price tag that’s not meant to break the bank. It features a frame construction that features a black polymer, which has carefully been selected, designed and constructed to near-indestructibility standards. To compound on the durability performance, the steel slide features a protective Melonite coat.
Benefits of the Product
- Compatibility and Flexibility: Coming with an integrated accessory rail, almost any gun accessory you will come across on the market has the capacity to be mounted on this gun.
- Reliability and Dependability: It features some of the best safety features on the market. These, together with the overall construction, ensure that you go out with a gun you can trust and depend upon, no matter the situation or circumstance.
- Versatility: Features the XD Essentials that provides the best Point and Shoot Ergonomics in 4 service models and two options. This makes the gun to be great for both self-defense, as well as for competitive shooting.
- Comes as a Kit: It comes with everything you need to get out and start shooting. These include a Cable lock, a bore brush, and an XD flush fitting magazine together with a lockable case.
- You feel some pressure due to the slack that is associated with the trigger pull
With all said, this is just one of the very best .40 pistols. It features a great ergonomic design that enhances your shooting comfort, comes with a steel construction and rugged polymer, provides reliability and safety, and comes at one of the lowest prices to performance ratios.
This is a pistol of its own class. It features a unique modular grip frame system, together with a removable fire control assembly, which makes it easy and possible for one to change the calibers, fit and sizes. It is, therefore, a good customizable option within the platform.
Benefits of the Product
- Durable and Lightweight Construction: The gun comes with a polymer frame. Polymer is credited for being a good replacement of the heavy materials as it can produce as durable performance as the former but not at the expense of sacrificing weight
- Customizable: Coming with an easily removable fire-control assembly that requires no tool at all, the model can easily and quickly be taken down and customized to the taste of requirements of the user.
- Comfortable Shooting: It comes with interchangeable polymer grips that are credited for providing a secure hold thereby accommodating a wide range of user’s hand sizes.
- Safety: Its 3-point takedown safety mechanism allows the user to break down the gun even with the magazine still attached on to it. This is done with safety guaranteed and accidental discharge completely eliminated.
- Its trigger isn’t the best, with the Flat-Face Option being one that could have offered a better solution and performance
All in all, this is an arm that you are guaranteed of reliability, durability, and dependability. It comes with great out of the box features and the lifetime warranty tagged to it boosts your confidence even more as you shoot.
In a nutshell, it is prudent that if you want to end up with the best .40 pistol the market has to offer, take your precious time. Do enough research and know exactly what you want in a pistol, and where you are going to use it from. Grabbing just any 40 cal pistol that is thrown to you is tantamount to getting out of your house to go somewhere you don’t know.