As a gun owner, you understand the need to frequently lubricate your gun. And as an experienced gun owner, you understand only the best gun oil should be applied on the movable parts of your gun, if at all you aren’t going for grease. Gun oil serves among other function, the cleaning, protecting and lubrication guns thus giving efficient and durable performance. If the inner parts of your gun aren’t lubricated, cleaned and protected, soon you will be shopping for another of these expensive accessories because of the jamming of your poorly maintained gun. To make your experience more adventurous and interesting, lets us look at how to get the best gun oils in the already flooded market.
How to get the best gun oils
Just like any other product you know of, the cost of the product always has to be considered whenever one goes shopping. Never be disguised to think that all gun oils are the same thus ending up buying cheap oils. Most of the oils that have water in them are these cheap products. This isn’t such a good thing to your gun and your hygiene.
Medium priced products on the other hand can at times be decent, bad or excellent. You should start your search from these medium priced products and not the cheap ones. Some of them are very reliable and easy to apply. Expensive oils on the other side are very few in the market and are where the best gun oils are found. These oils are designed for precision and in most cases can be used even on household moving accessories.
2. Container Size
There are three major different sizes, each with its own pros and cons. These are the small, the medium and the large containers. The small bottle is the most common and is the best for precision. These normally have a capacity of 10-29ml thus under an ounce. These small bottles are easier to handle but difficult to tighten their small caps. It’s easy to find yourself with an air-filled bottle and a bag full of oil.
Medium containers normally come with a capacity ranging between 5 and 16 ounces and normally come with simple dispensers that allow the user to put the oil on patches. Such containers offer a perfect fit on the hunting bags and can last for years.
Large containers usually have a capacity of up to 32 ounces or even bigger. These may last forever especially if you own a single handgun. They may come with normal dispensers for oil patches or be equipped with aerosols. These are too big to be carried in your bags and will definitely be stored back at home.
3. Dispenser Type
There are three types of dispensers with the precision dispenser being the best, the normal dispenser good and aerosol dispensers the worst. The best gun oils will thus feature a precision dispenser.
4. Water or Oil Based
Though most of these lubricants are oil based, the best gun oils feature the new technology of water based. These are mostly odorless and very environmentally friendly.
5 Best Gun Oils of 2017 – Reviews of Top-Rated Gun Oils
Ballistol Multi-Purpose Aerosol Can Lubricant Cleaner Protectant
Just as from its name, this product, being one of the best gun oils packs 3-in-1 punch. It has gained its popularity mainly due to the fact that it is biodegradable. If you have always felt nostalgic about the bad smell and burnt grass when your grandpa use to work on his gun, at last a product that clears those memories is out. With great performance without any effect to the environment, Ballistol Multi-Purpose is all here for you.
- 1.5 ounce Aerosol Can
- Biodegradable hence environment friendly
- Slightly alkaline thus great in neutralizing sweat and skin oil effects
- Preserves & protects leather, metal, wood and plastics
- Perfect lubricant and firearm protection
- Its thick thus forming a protective film over the gun’s moving parts
- High migration factor thus easily moves into the cracks
- Comes in a spray
- 3-in-1 performance of lubrication, cleaning and protection
- Biodegradable hence can comfortably be used without the fear of interfering with your surroundings.
- Safe for any gun finish whether wood, leather, plastic or metal
- One of the best protector and lubricant
- No harsh smell and non harmful to skin and eyes
- Can be mixed with water then used to clean corrosively primed ammo or black powder
- Spray is easy to apply and saves time
- Great protection for even the wet surfaces
- Not strong enough to remove powder residue, lead and copper
- A few products in the market have better performance and doesn’t work on suede
- Can’t be used on guns with nickel plating or gold engraving
This is a non-petroleum based multipurpose product that will not only lubricate your guns but also clean and protect them. This is not at the expense of your environment.
Break-Free CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant Preservative Squeeze Bottle (4 -Fluid Ounce)
This is one of the best gun oils with one of its biggest pros being the fact that it has the ability to offer perfect performance even under extreme environments. Wit tested and proven temperatures between -65 and +475F, the product is capable to do the job even if you are hunting during summer or winter. Just remember that the product will work perfectly after you immerse it in saltwater.
- Long lasting lubrication film for dramatic reduction of grit, sand and other abrasion effects
- Easy penetration and spreading over metal surfaced to all the crevice and pits thus undercutting contamination by lifting residue to levels where they can be removed
- Proven great performance in temperatures between -65F and + 475F with best performance after saltwater immersion
- Corrosion inhibitors for prevention of rust formulation
- A boundary film that protects metal surfaces from contaminants, among them moisture
- Specifically formulated synthetic oils, having reduced chances of losing viscosity, stiffening up or drying out
- Silicone base product
- Long lasting effect for reduced wear and failure
- The equipment can be kept in ready conditions for a number of months after application
- Reduced odor as compared with the traditional product with little respiratory problems even under less ventilated rooms
- Easy penetration and gliding to places you need it at
- Doesn’t gum up, break or dry out
- Non toxic
- Doesn’t hold up too well on Ar-15’s
The convenience that comes with a 3-in-1 product is a great positive that has resulted in a big draw among most reviewers. Its fewer odors are yet another pro and you are sure of not offending your family members with foul smell as you work on your firearm with this product.
Hoppe's No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil, 2.25-Ounce
It would be so sad if new guns are developed but no new accessories and maintenance tools, equipment and products. This product has answered to the call of the modern guns as it is an advanced lubricant specifically designed for modern guns.
- Superior lubrication with great protection to firearm surfaces thus reducing wear and tear
- Advanced oil specifically designed for the advanced modern firearm
- 100% design & tested for efficient use in toughest environments and situations
- Provision of a barrier against corrosion and moisture
- Great performance on other products such as fishing reels etc
- Classic distinctive scent
- Guaranteed not to expire, separate or gum up
- Comes with a precision needle for reduced need of messy syringes
- Refillable bottles
- Easy application with smooth action on metals
- Compact bottle that fits in your backpack or other hunting bags
- Doesn’t gum up but instead leaves the gun well conditioned but not with excessive oil
- 100% mineral and no bad odor
- Versatile application
- Highly viscous oil
- Protects against moisture and keeps firearms from jamming
- It’s quite a bit runny
- Bottle tip is quite flat
The popularity of this product makes it an outright candidate for one of the best gun oils in the market. In fact, many have considered it as the very best. The lubricant has great performance with just almost any firearm and other accessories such as folding knives, reels and other sporting goods. It is a recommendable product.
Lucas Oil 10006 Gun Oil - 2 oz.
The Lucas Gun oil is yet another powerhouse in the gun oil technology. Lucas Oils has numerous lubricants and oils but the best gun oil it produces is the Lucas 10006. It is not strange that this product has the exact feature that all the other Lucas products have been associated with; durability. It is because of this reason among other reasons that this product emerges as one of the best gun oils and would probably be the best in some other lists.
- Excellent gun lubricant for long-term storage
- Excellent household oil
- Use on fishing reels as well
- It’s a universal oil that can be used on a number of other metal products
- It is affordable
- Features some water repellant properties
- No strong unpleasant smell, a very common feature in the less costly products
- It doesn’t evaporate or dry up even with extended storage
- It is one of the best gun oils due to the fact that it prevents jamming and overheating on machine guns and other high caliber firearms.
- Red color great in helping you identify the parts of the gun that still need lubrication
- Bottle cap needs full tightening since leakage is common. i.e. it is a little too runny
- Can’t easily be found outside Amazon
- When excessively applied, oil pools
- Gets sticky upon heating
- Gathers debris thus posing risks of feed failure.
- Applicator is a bit too wide for application on the firearms narrower parts
This product was specifically made for guns with high heating effects such as the machine guns among other high caliber rifles. The oil is capable of withstanding high temperatures and can also be applied on fishing reels as well as in household materials. The product is also completely odorless, a great plus in deed. Due to its ability to resist drying and evaporation, it is a great lubricant for storage.
M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX
A combination of lox additives and synthetic oils, this lubricant has been designed to help guns withstand the effects of humidity, moisture and saltwater thus making it a great anti-corrosive oil. The product has the capacity to withstand high heat in addition to it having a long shelf life on the gun. It is also an active repellant of grime, dirt as well as powder from the hard-to-reach spots.
- One of the best and finest oils that can be used on AR-15’s
- 3-in-1 nature of being a cleaner, protector and lubricant thus reducing the cost and need of buying separate products
- Has thoroughly been tested for reliability and durability
- Works under extreme environments
- Slick, thick and better sticky feature on gun surfaces
- Smooth flow formula
- Rigidity testing for high quality thus provides great protection against water, moisture and wear& tear
- Offers protection against dust and dirt buildup and wont dissipate even after more than 500 rounds
- Corrosion, carbon and dirt repellant
- Reduces friction
- Works extremely well under extreme weather conditions
- Reduces the salt water corrosion effects on guns
- Decreases sear & tear thus reducing risks of jamming
- Doesn’t evaporate thus great for long term use and storage
- Protection against moisture and humidity
- Leaves a small film
- Resists most solvents
- It is costly
- The oil is at times a bit too runny
- Hand cleanout has to be done
Most customers and reviewers have considered this to be one of the best oil guns in the market. Its reliability and long life are key factors that give it a good score in the market. With a single 2 ounce bottle lasting for up to 3-years, you have one of the longest lives in gun oil history.
And it is that easy! The selection of the best gun oils isn’t as tall an order as it is to choose the riffles and other accessories. It is simple. Just look for a product that easily flows thus easy to apply, it doesn’t break, gum up or evaporate, and is durable enough to keep your gun ready for shooting even for months. Going for a product that is non biodegradable and has less or no odor is another plus. To know the best solution for your rifle, do extensive research and read to know what other gun oil users have to say about the available products. Choosing the best gun oil is that easy.