Are you standing between a rock and a hard place because of your inability to choose the best wool blanket among the many that are offered on the market? Then you must be very lucky to have landed on this article as we are going to review and guide you on how to end up grabbing the very best product the market has to offer. In a nutshell, keep reading on and buying a wool blanket will no longer be a difficult undertaking to you.
5 Best Wool Blankets of 2020 – Reviews of Top-Rated Models
Rothco European Surplus Style Wool Blanket
This is a warm and lightweight queen size blanket that can be used in bed as well as on the couch. Being comfortable, versatile, warm and durable, it scores as one of the best wool blankets on the market. The blanket’s edges have been zigzag stitched so as to keep it from fraying.
Benefits of the Product
- Guaranteed Comfort and Relaxation: With the soft and comfy feel that this Blanket comes with, you are guaranteed of one of the best relaxation you can ever desire for even in the winter chills.
- High Wool Percentage: With 90% wool that is combined with other natural fibers, you have a warm, durable and hypoallergenic blanket to use.
- Versatile: You can use it both indoors as well as outdoors with a lot of comfort in both instances, with the wool having a very low heat release, low heat of combustion and low rate of flame spread.
- Fire Retardant: With such a high percentage of wool, it is static resistant thus retarding fire, thanks to fact that it has a high moisture retention capacity
- A bit stiff thus may be quite uncomfortable
- When new, it comes with a slight kerosene smell, which is ideally due to flame retardant treatment. This will, however, fade after four days of air drying.
This is a brownish khaki stripe blanket design that resembles the Italian Army Wool Blanket Type. It is quite versatile as you can use it in the house or roll it as an extra blanket when going out in your car.
Creswick Australian Mills Hobart Machine Washable Australian Wool Blend Blanket
This blanket is made up of 70% recycled Australian Wool that is combined with 30% nylon thus coming up with a soft and lightweight blanket. Its highest selling feature is its ability to keep you warm during the cold weather but keeps you cool during the hot nights. It is a king size blanket that is naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial thus fitting so well for those that are skin sensitive
Benefits of the Product
- Versatile: This is a unique blanket that is capable of keeping you warm during the winter and cooling your sleep during summer and hot nights.
- Great for the Skin Sensitive: Being naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial, the blanket best serves all those with skin sensitivities among other allergies.
- Easy to Clean: Wash this blanket using your easiest way of washing. Hand wash it, machine wash it or even dry clean it. It doesn’t limit your choices and options.
- Great Quality: It is durable enough and comes with great warmth to size ratio. It is a real definition of warmth without bulk
- Drying is quite a tall order as its drying can only be done on a line
- The edges have been over stitched. Bonding would have been more elegant
Looking for a blanket that will serve everyone and anyone regardless of their sensitivities? Are you looking for that blanket that is comfortable regardless of the weather and climatic conditions? Then this is the very best wool blanket you can consider going for.
Pendleton Glacier National Park Full Blanket
If you want to buy a 100% woolen blanket like this Pendleton Glacier, then be ready to splash about $200. This blanket is a great addition that has worked well to keep warm those who are indoors as well as those who are outdoors. The blanket is not only 100% wool but is also proud to be made 100% in the USA.
Benefits of the Product
- Quality 100% Wool: The blanket is the only 100% wool blanket on this list. It doesn’t use just any wool but a 100% pure virgin wool that is credited for durability and softness.
- Verifiable: Since there are many counterfeit products on the market, this blanket comes with a Pendleton label that has been attached, the park’s name and a natural feature image thus making it easier for you to verify and know whether you are buying an authentic blanket or not.
- Big Size: It is a queen/full size blanket, measuring 80 by 90 inches and is 100% made in the USA. It is part of the National Park’s collection
- It is not as thick as a handful of customers may have expected
Though not thick, this is a very warm blanket indeed. Part of the reason as to why it isn’t as thick is because it features 100% wool, which is a very warm material. On this list, it is the Pendleton Glacier National Park Full Blanket that you will never go wrong with.
Advantages of a Wool Blanket
Body Temperature Regulation
Unlike almost all the other fabrics used in blankets, wool has the potential of regulating your body temperatures by keeping you warm during the cold nights and cooling you off during the hot climates. This may be a little bit surprising but knowing that wool wicks moisture away in cold weather thus keeping air within the fabric to be dry and warm, but draws in air in warm weather thus removing any excessive heat from the body, we will be able to appreciate that it is science and not magic.
Durability and Comfort
Though blankets made of wool can really cost you a fortune as they are quite really expensive, they are great investments, thanks to the fact that they last long. It is their flexibility that makes them damage resistant. On the other side, the soft texture that is a characteristic of wool makes them to be the most comfortable forms of blankets, with the most comfortable being the 100% merino wool that is very fine in quality.
Environment-Friendly and Fashionable
Wool naturally comes with an attractive design that makes its products look very aesthetic. As a result, you have a very soft and eco-friendly blanket. It is soft for obvious reasons and eco-friendly since if you decide to dispose it, the wool will decompose and give you manure.
What to Look For in a Best Wool Blanket
You may wonder why we have to look at the material yet we have already narrowed down to wool. It is important for you to know that there are different types of wool on the market. Some of these include the recycled wool which may be the least and cheapest in the lot and the best being the merino wool.
There is also the issue of percentage composition. Not all the woolen blankets will have 100% wool. Most of them come with different percentages of wool, which has to be the most prominent for the blanket to be called a woolen blanket. 70% wool is good, 80-85% better and 100% wool the best. Though you may really want to go for the 100% wool blankets, it is important to mention that they are always a bit more expensive. Make your choice. Just note that nothing will beat the 100% wool blankets when it comes to warmth, insulation and durability.
Always try as much as possible to look for those blankets that have been marked as having “natural fibers” only.
b) Size & Weight
The best blanket size is that which will cover the bed and proceed to fold around the bottom and sides of the bed. It is therefore important that you know the size of your bed before you make that bold step of choosing a woolen blanket, or any other form of mattress covering.
And when it comes to the weight, your comfort can really be interfered with if you are using a very heavy blanket. You aren’t interested in something heavy but that which is warm. The lightest wool blankets are those that feature merino wool.
Look for a hypoallergenic blanket in the event that you have a very sensitive skin. The blanket must not have any synthetic fibers as these are known to be notorious in aggravating the problem. Synthetic fibers are processed with chemicals, most of which aren’t skin-friendly. Wool that comes from natural fibers is naturally hypoallergenic thus will naturally combat allergens.
From this list, the Pendleton Glacier National Park Full Blanket is the surest winner. Though a little bit quite expensive, the blanket comes with a 100% all natural Australian Merino wool. It is an oversized blanket that provides you with the surety you need during winter. In a nutshell, this blanket meets almost all the features and criteria you may be looking for in a best wool blanket.