Owning a rifle is a good thing and owning a great rifle is a great thing. The rifle allows you to engage in target practice as a sport or pastime as well as allowing you to go hunting. It also means you have a self defense tool whenever need be. However, owning a great rifle is one thing but having the right accessories to accompany your hunting and target shooting is another. One of the most important accessories that should accompany a rifle is the scope. For long range shooting, you really need to have the best long range scope for your expeditions to be a success. A great scope, without question always complements the performance of a rifle. It should be able to help you achieve your shots with great precision and accuracy. But how do you land your hands on the best long range scope in this flooded market?
Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Long Range Scope
It is important to understand that the brand name you go for can make a great difference in the quality of product and performance. This is especially the case for the newbie who isn’t yet sure of the other features. If you are a guru in this field, the brand comes last as it will not be a very important factor or feature.
The price of these products also makes a big difference. There is no doubt that in this world, you will always only get what you have paid for. Cheap scopes aren’t accompanied with many features and qualities that you would want to find in a scope. In most cases, these scopes come with very limited zoom capabilities. In contrast, the more expensive accessories are capable of making longer shots as well as having more performance and longevity features. This makes them the outright best long range scope. It’s worth noting that the cheaper scopes are the best solutions for beginners.
3. Glass Quality
This is far the most important feature to consider whenever you are shopping for these accessories. The quality of glass needs to be the best possible you can afford or that can be offered by the market. Without clear glass, you won’t be able to properly sight your targets. High quality glass will come handy when you are reading the mirage so you are able to know your accuracy changes which the wind always bring to your shooting. Untreated or weak glass can also shatter or crack when under stress not to mention the fact that such glass easily lets in fog and creates glare thus rendering your product useless under such circumstances.
4. Reticle Style
The best long range scopes are those with a milled reticle type with spaced dots. An additional crosshair makes the product even great. Such a reticle makes it easier for the user to accurately judge the elevation and distance together with windage. The reticle can either make or break a shooters ability to properly aim.
5. Zoom Range and Magnification Power
This is yet another among the most considered features to be considered in order to classify a scope among the best long range scope or not. Let the scope have the ability to go as low as 4X zoom so as to enable the shooter the ability to view targets found within 50 yards. The scope should also be able to have a long 50X zoom range that ensures you are capable of viewing targets that are several hundred yards far away.
6. Size of the Objective Lenses
The bigger the objective lens size, the wider the viewing range or rather Field of View. The best long range scope will have an average of 40 mm objective lens. Anything less than 32mm will be too inefficient whereas 50 to 60mm is great. The only downside of the bigger objectives is the fact that they increase the weight and bulkiness of scopes.
The weight makes a difference when you are shooting or when you are moving around with the accessory. In other words, it needs to be portable enough and one that will not interfere with the balancing of your rifle. Look for as compact and as lightweight as possible scope. You really need to balance between lightweight and the size of the objectives.
8. Adjustment Range
The best long range scopes have a wide range of adjustments, not forgetting that the adjustments have to be easy to make. Accurate compensation of elevation, windage and distance are very important factors to be considered when choosing these scopes. The best long range scopes will not require tools to be used in making these adjustments.
The body construction needs to be one that is durable. In addition, the product needs to have durability features such as fog proof and water proof capabilities.
Reviews of 5 Best Long Range Rifle Scopes
Nikon Buck Master II Scope
This scope features some of the best body and glass features which include full multi-coated lenses that enhance great performance. Brightness is guaranteed even at dawn or late at dusk when there is little light and the activity of the game is at their peak. With a versatile power range, users are provided with tremendous flexibility that enhances hunting in changing wildlife habitats which include thick woodlands, the rugged canyons and the sagebrush flats.
- Shockproof, water proof and fog proof
- Versatile power range
- Quick focus, BDC reticle eyepiece measuring 14.1 inches
- Nitrogen purged as well as ring sealed for waterproof and fog proof capabilities
- 4X to 12X40mm long range scope
- Generous eye relief of 3.7 inches
- Fully multi-coated lenses for up to 98% light transmission
- Zero-reset turret coming with spring-loaded adjustment features
- Hand-turn elevation and windage adjustments
- Great value for money
- Clear glass
- Nice long range solution
- Lifetime warranty
- Compact and not overly heavy
- Doesn’t come with scope rings
This is an excellent piece of optic accessory that provides hunters with an affordable yet high quality long range scope option. Though it may not be able to match the Nightforce, to the beginners, this is just the best long range scope you can place you hand and trust on.
Leupold 115394 Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle
This is yet another scope that has revolutionized the hunting and target shooting game. The most unique feature about this product, that makes it come as one of the best long range scopes, is the crisp and clear sightline that it offers. With the ability to hassle freely hold zero even when the target is 200 yards away, and in conjunction with its super lightweight, the product delivers much, most of which can’t be delivered by its counterparts.
- Multi-coated lenses
- Tactical P5 elevation turrent
- Lightweight construction
- For .223/5.56 55 grain calibers
- 3100fps velocity
- Tactical power selector
- Mil dot reticle
- Argon/Krypton purged for waterproofing thus improved versatility
- It is affordable
- Very lightweight and portable thus easy to maneuver with
- Greatly reduced glare
- Great beginner level accessory
- Improved light transmission hence great image clarity
- Doesn’t have most features as compared to the pricier scopes
This is a precision tool that helps hunters as well as target shooters to squeeze every minute accuracy out of their rifles. Though it doesn’t have most features, it will greatly do you a lot of good if at all you are running on a budget.
Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24×50 Riflescope with VMR-1 Reticle (MRAD)
This accessory is ideal and available for a wide range of shooting activities and applications. It blends most of the incredible features from the Vortex Viper PST and the Vortex Viper HS riflescopes. The product has also been built on an ultra-strong machined aluminum tube for improved windage and elevation correction as well as for optimal adjustments.
- Extra-low Dispersion (XD) glass for increased color fidelity and resolution, the result being crisp, sharp images
- 6-24×50mm objectives
- Aircraft-Grade Aluminum construction for solid strength, rigidity and durability
- Single piece tube for maximized alignment hence optimum visual performance and improved accuracy as well as assured waterproof and strength features.
- Fully Multi-coated lens with proprietary coatings for increased transmission of light, with all sir-to-glass surfaces having multiple anti-reflective coatings
- Second Focal Plane Reticle with the reticle scale retaining the ideally sized appearance.
- Also features some listed reticle sustentions which are accurate in their estimation of range, wind drift and holdover corrections at the highest magnification levels.
- Simple design for easy use
- Precision plinking
- Very clear markings on turrents
- Crisp clear view
- A little too big especially with the sun shade attached
- Not very clear images at 24X
Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP Reticle ERS Riflescope
This is the best long range scope for hunters and target shooters who are seeking to advance their shooting skills. The scope comes with precise workmanship thus making it a reliable product to use. Its design was done after consultation with the law enforcement agencies and the military thus the superiority and excellent performance of the scope in all situations.
- Side focus parallax adjustment for improved long rang accuracy adjustability: 1Mil Click Value
- Tactical target product with 6x to 24X50mm objectives
- 30mm one piece tube
- 3-inch sunshade
- Rain Guard HD & Sun Guard HD
- Fully multi-coated and Ultra Wide Band optic coatings
- Argon purged for anti fogging
- Mil-harsh marked FFP (First Focal Plane) reticle
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Exceptional brightness
- Fantastic zooming capabilities
- Great holdover and windage correction
- Extended range magnification
- Expensive product
- Not meant for beginners
- Slightly blurred images at its highest zoom level
With all factors said and considered, the product is a great investment for anyone looking for a great medium range product. With a sleek design, great performance and high responsiveness, it is one of the best long range scopes in its range.
Nightforce Optics 5.5-22x50 NXS Riflescope
If there is a long range scope that is highly recommended by pros, it is the Nightforce NXS Zero Stop Riflescope. And for it to be highly recommended by such a caliber of persons, it probably is just the best long range scope in the market. The scope features a generous eye relief of 3.7 inches, a figure that’s really great for any person desiring to hit targets beyond 300 yards. There is also some great illumination that boosts on the accuracy of the product.
- 31/879 ounce/gram weight
- 6.6/168 inches/mm mounting length
- 3.7 inch eye relief
- Rugged body construction
- 30 mm tube diameters
- Used by the US military
- Crystal clear images
- Wind-60MOA/16.4 MIL. Elevation- 100MOA/27.3MIL internal adjustments
- Extreme quality
- Easy to use
- Image clarity
- Rugged body for durability
- The best long range scope for hunting
- Though worth it, it’s quite too pricy
- Its bulky and heavy
- A marker for elevation dial revolutions together with zeroing of windage knobs would be great
Due to the image clarity that is credited for the great glass quality of the product, as well as the great zoom range that this product comes with, it is arguably the best long range scope.
No matter the brand you go for, you have to consider the physical attributes, specifications and features of the long range scope you want to settle on before placing the order. It is important to note that some of the scopes in the market have worse or slightly better features than others. What matters most is whether the scopes have got good enough qualities to enable you compensate for any distance, elevation and windage mishaps that would have arisen. And it is always worth remembering to be safe as well as to follow the proper gun shooting etiquette together with safety guidelines so as to avoid injury. But as far as the best long range scope is concerned, with the above picks, you will never go wrong.