Are you in need of a gun safe but you are running a tighter budget? You need not worry. The market offers a wide range of affordable gun safes. Though there are some cheap gun safes going for below $200 and even $100, working with the $500 mark is prudent. When selecting the best gun safe under 500, it is important that you know the right features as well as the best brands in the market. Below are 5 of the best gun safe under 500 that have highly been rated, reviewed and recommended.
A Comparison Between the $500 with the $1000 safes
All safes within different price ranges come with different specifications that define their different purposes. Within each price range, there are some great features that you can bank on when using the safe. When shopping for the best gun safe under $500, a quick comparison between the features and functions of the products within this price range and the more expensive gun safes under 1000 may help you decide whether to still go for safes within this range or their expensive counterparts.
a) Burglary Protection
It is clear that the $1000 gun safes feature stronger and more secure design against burglar intrusion. On average, the steel used in the construction of the 1000 safes is always thicker than that used to manufacture the $500 counterparts. With the steel gauge of less than 12 for the long guns, this is far much higher than the gauge used to construct the gun safes under 500.
b) Better Security Features
Though it isn’t absolute that the gun safes below 500 will lack some of the advanced security features, it is almost certain that you will lack one or more of these advanced protection features. Only a few among the best gun safes under 500 feature fire protection, relockers, and hard plate features among others. If you, therefore, have lots of interest in absolute protection and security of not only the gun but any other valuables that will be kept in the safe, then it is a high time you consider going for the higher end $1000 gun safes.
c) Easier Burglar Penetration
It will be prudent for you to realize that as a result of the less superior features mentioned above, as compared to the $1000 gun safes, it is easier for a burglar to penetrate those safes that are gauge 11 and below. In addition, the relockers, that are a characteristic of the higher end gun safes, are always meant to automatically relock the door after a burglar has broken it. This gives the burglar double work to get access to the safe contents. On average, it is almost thrice easier for a burglary to be successful on a $500 gun safe than it is on a $1000 safe.
If your sole intention of buying the safe is to protect the guns from your children and probably amateur burglars, then there is no point for you to go for the more expensive gun safes. However, if the real burglary is a serious threat in your area, and you are also not sure about fire and such calamities, the lowest possible gauge you should be talking of is 12.
Most of the gun safes under 500 have been designed to be used for the storage of handguns and short guns. Searching for a good gun safe to use for the storage of long guns will almost lead to futility if you are looking within the $500 limit. If you want to keep long guns, the $1000 safe range is where you should search.
5 Best Gun Safes Under 500 of 2017 – Reviews of Top-Rated Models
Stealth Defense Vault DV652 Under Bed Gun Safe
This is a creative storage solution for those who own short guns. This is a horizontal gun safe that may not resemble the traditional vertical gun safes you are used to but it comes with its own advantages. One of such advantages is your ability to make good use of that empty space beneath your bed. What a perfect location when you need quick access to the safe in the event of an intrusion.
Benefits of the Product
- Easy Access: Its design makes it easy to be stored in those areas you can easily access in the event of intrusion e.g. under the bed.
- Electronic Lock: The lock is U>L Type 1 that’s ESL% rated. This provides one of the quickest access within products of its price range.
- Secure: The ability to disable the audible feedback makes it safe to access the safe in the event of an intrusion. In addition, a 15-minute lockout ensures no intruder guesses the combination so many times as it will lock down upon entering wrong combination 4 times.
- The packaging aspect isn’t the best. But do you need the package or the safe?
The safe weighs 74 pounds and measures 6 by 52 by 14 inches. With an electronic lock and a solid construction, it is safe, reliable and easy to access making it one of the best gun safe under 500.
Verifi Smart.Safe. Fast Access Biometric Safe with FBI Fingerprint Sensor
This is yet another fantastic safe that features many positive reviews and ratings offline and online. The safe weighs 35 pounds and measures 17.5 by 16 by 8 inches. With one of its important features being that it is biometric, we will feel shy to highlight many other biometric safes within this range.
Benefits of the Product
- Biometric: With a sensor that has the 3D imaging capabilities and is F.B.I. certified, you faster access your safe with the use of a fingerprint sensor.
- Reliability: There are so many biometric safes within this range but most of them are unreliable due to the use of cheap fingerprint scanners. This one is very reliable and you won't go wrong on this subject.
- Unlimited: It has an LCD display together with an interface that allows up to 40 unique fingerprints.
- You really would want a lower (thicker) steel gauge for better protection.
The product comes with access legs and an AutoLock feature among others. And to make it even the best gun safe under 500 among the biometrics, the product runs diagnostic tests to ascertain whether the system is working fine or not.
Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
This is yet another small safe that you may want to consider as you go shopping. Among the best gun safe under 500, this is one of the richest in features. Though the biometric system of the Verifi 6000 may be better, the Viking’s size may be just what you need and are looking for.
Benefits of the Product
- Strong and Secure: It is difficult to find a 12-gauge body and 7-gauge door construction within its price range.
- Pry Attack Resistant: The use of laser cuts having no gaps and two 20mm steel locking bolts makes it pry resistant. And the four drilled holes make it easy to make the safe to even be more secure.
- Multiple Access Ways: You can quickly access the safe through the 500 dpi optical sensor biometric lock (32 fingerprints), through the electronic lock with a keypad and LCD screen and through the use of a 4-8 digit combination.
- Safe: if the lock is fed five incorrect combinations or 10 wrong fingerprints, it locks out. A warning beep also alerts you if the door has been left unlocked for more than a minute and the safe also allows you to disable sound.
- The finger scanner may at times fail you
This safe weighs 43 pounds and measures 14 by 12 by 20 inches. With three removable shelves, a carpeted interior and key hooks and the ability to open the safe with keys in the event of electronic malfunction makes it not just safe but also reliable.
V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
This is a small yet sturdy construction and among the few safe and reliable gun safes within its range that can be used to store long guns. The product weighs 10.9 pounds and measures 3.4 by 12 by 42 inches. It features a pry-resistant clam shell construction and is designed to keep two narrow long guns or one wide one.
Benefits of the Product
- Sturdy Construction: Features a sturdy steel design that resists any prying. The steel features a powder-coat finish that lasts a lifetime
- Increased Security: Features a programmable mechanical lock and two additional locks on top and bottom of the safe thus bolstered security
- Easy to Mount: Comes with pre-punched mounting holes that make it easy to anchor it
- Versatile: Can be opened from the Top or front thus making it easy to be hanged on the wall or mounted upright according to your choice.
- Lightweight and must be anchored if maximum security is to be attained.
- Limited space
The bottom line is that in this V-Line product, you have one of the best gun safes under 500 as far as safety and reliability are concerned. Though it may be difficult to fit more than one gun, you can be sure of the security of the one that is in.
Stack-On GCDG-9216 16-Gun Convertible Double-Door Steel Security Cabinet
This product is advertised to have a two tactical weapon capacity and a maximum of 14 shotguns or rifles. The construction is 100% steel with a gauge-16 body and a gauge-18 door. The cabinet on the other side features a 3-point locking system that uses double bitted keys and a cylinder lock for maximum security.
Benefits of the Product
- Adjustability: The product’s space can be adjusted in numerous ways to fit what you want to be kept and how you want it stored. You can take all the shelves out to increase the capacity
- Versatile: It can be used to keep handguns, rifles, ammunition and accessories among other products
- Construction: With a 90-pound weight and a 55 by 21 by 18-inch measurements, it is heavy enough to keep honest thieves away though small and may need anchoring if a serious burglary is a threat.
- Warranty: Comes with a limited one year warranty
- Lacks keys to open in case of un-eventualities. The safe can lock you out.
- The material gauge is only good for keeping the guns away from children and honest thieves
This safe comes with shelves and barrel holders which make it easy to arrange the guns and keep them upright respectively. For the best gun safe under 500, you can trust, give this product a try.
If you are running on a fixed budget, you will obviously be looking for the best possible product within your reach. It is however not an easy task to pick the big bang for your bucks if you aren’t acquainted with what to look for. This review delivers the best gun safe under 500 you can get in the market.
In conclusion, when looking for the best gun safe under 500, your best bet would be the V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe. In terms of security, easy access, and dependability, this is a gun safe you can trust. Its only downside is the fact that it has very limited space.
Good Luck as you contemplate choosing one of the products above.