How a hunter manages to make the decision of buying a specific duck call involves a lot of things. There are myriads of materials, brands, and styles that you have to select from. A hunter needs to know the best quality products so that they get real value for their money and that is why you have to invest your time is wading through the mud so that you can end up with just the best duck call your money can give you. You will come to learn that as much as you have preferences when it comes to buying the best duck call, where and how you will use the calls reign supreme.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Duck Call
If your calls are going to be long distance calls like around big rivers or the open lakes, you will need a call that comes with a higher pitch and a louder volume. This is the opposite with hunting the wood duck. When calling these ducks that are in potholes, flooded timber and beaver ponds among other close environments, a softer volume, and lower pitch will produce better results. In such close environments, you are not seeking to reach the duck but to sound ducky.
b) Single-Reed Vs Double-Reed System
The single-reed calls are accompanied with more versatility as compared with the double-reed calls. It is also important to note that the double-reed calls will require more energy to be blown as it takes more air to blow. They also have relatively fewer ranges of options to choose from as compared with the single-reed system. It is, however, important to note that on average, the double reed calls have a sweet spot which realistically mimics a duck.
It will be worth noting that the single-reed types are just easy to blow and not easy to master. On the other hand, the double reeds and the rare triple reed systems are easy to master but hard to blow.
The most common types of materials used in the duck call industry today are polycarbonate, acrylic, and wood. Acrylic is the densest and comes with typically louder and sharper sounds when compared to polycarbonate and wood. Wooden calls, on the other hand, are normally softer than their acrylic counterparts thus are a better choice for close-range calls. Polycarbonate calls are the intermediates as they are less loud and sharper than acrylic but louder and sharper than wooden calls.
In terms of care, wooden calls need the highest levels of care. This is because of the great porosity of timber hence must be taken apart and allowed drying time after use. The most durable of the three are the polycarbonates.
Prices of these calls range from the $30 mass-produced call to the $140 custom call. In terms of price, both of these can be good but as usual, on average, the more costly calls have better finessing. They are in most cases able to produce subtle sounds and soft whines which the cheap products aren’t able to do. These custom calls also offer the hunter the discretion of tuning a call according to their calling styles.
e) Do Your Research
Just knowing the features of what you want isn’t enough. Some manufacturers may convince you in their adverts that their product has the features you are looking for. So that you are not duped, through reviews, testimonials, and recommendations, listen to what other users have to say about a given product.
Reviews of the 5 Best Duck Calls in the Market
Duck Commander Wood Duck Call
This is a highly durable and authentic duck call accessory that has truly worked the trick for many hunters. When hunting ducks in the woods, this is one of the very best duck calls you can rely upon. It features a single reed design and can mimic sitting or flying ducks, being capable of calling from long distances indeed.
- Durability: The duck call features a durable plastic design hence making it possible to be used for years, even decades of duck hunting.
- Versatility: It is able to replicate both the flying and the sitting ducks hence can be used in an array of hunting situations.
- Value for Money: The duck call has individually been tested and features durable construction and efficient versatile performance all at a reasonable price thus giving you value for money.
- Long Distance Call: This is one of the best duck calls to use in hunting and calling ducks that are long distances away.
- Not for Beginners: It takes a great deal of time for one to practice and be able to effectively and efficiently use the duck call.
- Poor in Short Distances: The duck call is most effective at long-range but very less effective at close range.
There is no other reason why duck hunters love this product other than due to the fact that its call replicates that of an authentic duck call. It is one of the most versatile duck calls as it is able to produce different sounds that replicate both the sitting and the flying duck.
Buck Gardner Double Nasty Camo Green Duck Call
The main reason for ranking this product among the best duck calls is its great price to performance ratio. At a cost less than $30, rarely would you get a double-reed call that comes with control and range that is comparable to those of single reeds. It features a clean & raspy tone and allows the hunter the versatility of producing the feed chuckles as well as the low-end sounds. And due to the fact that the product is easy to blow, pros and newbie alike will rate it amongst the best duck calls.
- Durability: It features a polycarbonate design which is credited for the super durability of the call
- Versatile: Can make different calls including the low end, pure duck and hail call hence can be used for different hunting conditions and distances.
- Accuracy: The sounds produced by this product realistically do mimic the sounds of the wood duck hence better hunting results.
- Value for Money: It features a double-reed construction but has the versatility associated with the single reed products
- The call may at times jam when the weather is a little too cold.
The product has been designed to come with a wood duck call together with a mallard. This is definitely a pretty big bang. It understands the real meaning of mimicking a duck and its cost is exactly what a beginner wants to hear off.
Duck Commander ~ Triple Threat ~ Duck Hunting Call New
This is an unusual triple-reed system construction of a duck call. The reason behind the rarity of triple reeds is because of the more the reeds the harder it is to blow. It is surprising that even with the triple reed system; this duck call is easier to blow than some of its counterparts with fewer reeds. It can easily be used by beginners and intermediates without having to do lots of practice.
- Durability: Having been made using a polycarbonate material, the duck call is resistant to temperature and moisture hence it’s durable and long lasting performance.
- Easy to Use: It is unbelievably easy to use making it one of the best duck calls for beginners and intermediates. It is also easy to tune and to clean
- Versatility and Accuracy: It is not just any other duck call. It replicates the feed call, quack, and the mallard hen’s hail-call
- Quality Performance: With such a product serving you for a couple of years and producing a constant crisp and very clear sound all through at a cost of less than $40, you have real value for your money.
- Sticky Reeds: Its reeds may at times stick together thus affecting the call sound.
This is among the most durable duck calls in the market. It features a unique, patented 3-ree design, is easy to tune operate and to clean. Its versatility thus ability to replicate the mallard hen’s hail call, the feed call and the quack call improve your hunting results thrice as much.
Duck Commander Camo Max Duck Call
I believe this should be the best mallard duck cal there is in the market. If it misses the first spot, it can’t miss the second. The duck call is hand tuned thus being able to result in unmatched precision. In addition to this, it is characterized by great sound versatility thereby making it an efficient hunting accessory to be used in different environments. The Duck Commander Max is a double reed call that is plastic made and can be used to create loud or soft sounds.
- Great Performance: Wow!!! This is just the best duck call, producing sweet duck mimicked sound and is just awesome
- Accuracy and Precision: Bing a hand-tuned product, you can set the duck call to an unmatched accuracy. This absolutely increases your chances. The sound of the mallard hen that it produces is very precise and raspy.
- Versatility: Within the Duck Commander line, there is no other that is more versatile than this hunting tool.
- Durability, Elegance, and Easy Use: It is easy to blow and polycarbonate made hence a better solution for beginners. Its elegance makes it a good gift choice.
- It is a little bit quite too pitchy for the liking of some people.
There is no other call that well serves the beginners, intermediates, and professionals. In other words, this duck caller cuts across the border to give all the hunters just what they are looking for in a duck call. In addition, at around its price range, it is very affordable to the newbie. It is the best duck call that I know of.
Duck Commander Uncle Si Duck Call
Perhaps, Uncle Si is the easiest duck call to blow off all the duck calls in the market. With just some moderate force, the call produces loud calls making it an effective tool to use around big lakes and wide open areas. Both the volume levels and the ease of use make it the best duck call for most beginners. You don’t need lots of practice to perfect the art. It is a single reed call that has been designed to give authentic raspy flare that beckons to the ducks that are nearby.
- Authentic Call: This duck call knows the exact meaning of mimicking a duck call. Other ducks will truly be disguised to think that it is another duck calling.
- Durability: having been made using a polycarbonate material, it is one of the most durable duck calls with a long lasting performance.
- Easy to Use: This is probably the easiest call to blow thereby automatically qualifying it as the best duck call for beginners.
- Not Very Raspy: Some other products in the market will produce more raspy sounds.
For those hunting around big lakes or in large fields or even in areas with many other animals, the use of Uncle Si would be recommended. This is because no matter the sounds of the other animals, the ducks will be able to hear the sound of this duck call with absolute precision.
In a nutshell, when choosing the best duck call, the variables that have to be considered are the material type, the volume, distance and the cost of the product. After knowing exactly what you need, consider going through reviews as you also seek for testimonials. Lastly, test the product you feel you are interested in to find out if you will love how it sounds. In our list of products, the Duck Commander Camo Max Duck Call carries the day. This is because it is versatile, precise, durable and affordable to a newbie.