The same hunting principles used since time immemorial to improve the quality and success of hunting experiences are being used today. The only difference is that there are great technological advancements that make the hunting experiences much easier today. One of such technologies involves the use of climbing sticks during hunting. Whereas some hunters may prefer to creep within the woods as they look for a catch, some prefer to perch themselves on strategic trees as they wait for a target. Climbing sticks can really help you get on top of a tree. But how do I get to grab the best climbing sticks? Below is a comprehensive guide that will help you out.
Can’t wait til the end? Here’s our list of the best climbing sticks on the market:
It has the capacity to support virtually any tree climber
This climbing stick gives the real definition of durability, safety, performance and responsiveness
Other than the bulky and heavy feature, the product will impress you with all the other factors and features
This is more than just a climbing stick but works as a fully assembled ladder.
This is an ultra lightweight, yet very sturdy climbing stick that offers very reliable tree climbing performance
Factors of Consideration when Choosing Best Climbing Stick
Types of Tree Climbing Sticks
- The Tree Sticks: The tree sticks are fairly new and many conservative hunters haven’t used it yet. They come with a central metal tube having steps that protrude from opposite sides of the tube. They are also designed to come in sections, which are stacked onto each other thereby allowing the user to reach their desired height.
- Tree Steps: They are essentially just “Z” shaped metallic steps, which are designed to be screwed into a tree as you climb. These sticks are inarguably the most portable as they can be folded into a compact design and they are also very lightweight. Just ensure they are well placed as loose ones may end up spoiling your day.
There are different sizes of climbing sticks. Depending on the height of the trees you expect to climb, you will need to consider the different heights that are associated with these sticks. Don’t go for a rather too short climbing stick yet you plan to climb some of the tallest trees in the forest.
In almost any product, how popular it is should guide you on how to make an informed decision. Popular brands almost guarantee user satisfaction. Those products that are highly rated and reviewed by users have been tested and proven to offer just what the users wanted or needed. As a result, they almost guarantee you that you will get the same.
Construction Materials and Durability
The material used in the construction will determine how long you can stay with your climbing stick. Some materials such as steel and aircraft grade aluminum will guarantee you a lifetime performance. You don’t want to keep on buying a climbing stick year in year out.
This is yet another important feature. Falling down from the top of the tallest tree in the woods may lead to death or very serious injuries if you were lucky. The safety of the product you go for must, therefore, be guaranteed. Some of the important safety features include slip-free technologies, safety harnesses and a sturdy quality frame material construction.
You will want to carry your climbing stick from home to the woods, from one area of the forests to the other and from one tree to another. The best climbing sticks are therefore those that are as portable as possible. Go for lightweight products that you can carry with a lot of ease. They also have to be as compact as possible. Features such as the ability to attach on backpacks or accompanied back straps are also great indeed.
Top 5 Best Climbing Stick Reviews
The sticks feature the Versa-Button straps, which offer ambidextrous stick attachment or removal use. They also come with a swivel V-bracket that has been designed to rest against the tree, with the capacity of adjusting to different angles and with respect to an array of contours. The sticks come with a 32-inch section, a 2.5-pound weight, and a maximum 350-pound weight capacity.
Benefits of the Product
- Quiet and Easy Performance: Climbing the trees with the use of these sticks is very easy and quiet hence you can climb to the top within no time and without creating an unnecessary attention and alarm.
- Climbing Convenience: It comes with reversible steps, which boost the versatility as well as the climbing convenience when these climbing sticks are used.
- Portability: Having a 32’ section, together with just 2.5 pounds, it is lightweight thus very portable. It comes with four sections.
- Secure and Safe: The use of pivoting V-Bracket adjusts ingeniously ensures that the sticks mount directly and nest together on the separately sold Assault Treestand, or on the tree’s natural contours.
- From the package, it is very noisy, you need to modify it for the quiet performance to be achieved
Upon hearing that it has a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds, you know that this is a climbing stick for literally any tree climber. Rarely would those weighing over 250 pounds try to climb a tree. It is therefore not an overstatement to say that it has the capacity to support virtually any tree climber.
This is yet another very lightweight climbing stick that features a 300-pound maximum weight capacity and comes with 5-sections of 18” each totaling up to 20’. Its steps are angle steel-welded to enhance for safety as the climber’s feet are kept closest possible to the central tube thus preventing them from slipping off.
Benefits of the Product
- Safe and Quiet Performance: The main selling focuses of this system are its safe, easy and quiet assembly and climbing performance. It eliminates any sought of unnecessary climbing and maneuvering, allowing you to get to the top of the tree with ease.
- Quality Design: It features a Rock Solid steel design that is angle welded to securely be held to the tree trunk with 5-sleeved sections coming handy during climbing.
- Complete Set: It is not only a climber but has been constructed with a bottom section remaining on the ground, thus is designed to function as a fully assemble ladder.
- Safety: Its steps are angle welded to enhance safety by keeping your feet always close to the central tube thus preventing or rather reducing the risks of accidental slip offs at the end.
- 20 pounds for a climbing stick is a bit too heavy.
This is a climbing stick that gives the real definition of durability, safety, performance and responsiveness. It is one of the best climbing sticks to come with among the most sought for safety features. Falling down from a tree can be fatal. You really want to reduce such risks as much as possible with the use of quality climbing stick designs such as the Big Game Quick Stick
The Summit Treestands Bucksteps climbing sticks come with a unique design that many will find useful. The sticks feature a dual-step configuration, which ideally means two steps having been placed directly opposite each other but at intervals. This means that one can stand at the same spot with their two feet both being on the same ladder level. This makes it much safer, especially when you stop midway to rearrange your hunting gear.
Benefits of the Product
- High-Quality Construction: It comes with aluminum hang-on steps having four nesting sections thus making it compact and easy to transport
- Safety: As long as you weigh 260 pounds and below, you are almost guaranteed that upon following the instructions and guidelines, you will never fall from the stick. The straps are reinforced with webbing and attach quietly and quickly. It is also slip-free even in muddy conditions.
- Sturdiness and Stability: Comes with the V-bars at the bottom as well as the top of each section to give firm stability. Its system is the four-step type that comes with 16’ of height
- Performance: They offer quiet and smooth assembly and climbing performance thus offering you a climbing that will not startle the game.
- It is a little bit bulky
- Though it's quieter than most of the climbing sticks, it still produces some bell sounds
After trying it out, you will be impressed with the performance. Other than the bulky and heavy feature of the climbing stick, the product will impress you with all the other factors and features.
This is more than just a climbing stick but works as a fully assembled ladder. It features a sturdy, strong, super-convenient and stable construction that takes backwoods hunting to another new level. As far as hassle-free climbing is concerned, this is one of the least climbing sticks one can anticipate disappointment from. With its 20 feet tall frame, you are sure of getting to the highest point of some of the tallest trees found within your targeted forest.
Benefits of the Product
- Stability and Sturdiness: Has a 4’ brace system that offers great stability thus preventing any accidental fall over. All in all, the climbing stick is sturdy, strong and above all, very durable.
- Portability: It comes with five sections, thus allowing for easy storage and absolute portability. It can easily be attached to a backpack and carried down to the woods. It also features angled steps that are short and sturdy for easy transportation
- Quick and Safe Attachment: The climbing stick comes with a Cam buckle system that quickly and securely attaches the climbing stick onto the tree trunks
- Quality Construction: The climbing stick is among the very best climbing sticks, thanks to the fact that is specially built to exact manufacturer’s specifications for dependability, long-lasting and unmatched value based guarantee.
- Bulky and Heavy: If you were specifically looking for a climbing stick alone, this won’t be the best as it weighs 23 pounds. But for any complete climbing ladder, this is one of the lightest in weight and can be carried by the backpack
Other than just a bit of rust that builds up around the rod ends and welds, which is normal for products around its price, the climbing stick is a product worth owning. Repainting the areas prone to rust will definitely improve the appearance of your climbing stick. It is one of the very best climbing sticks for the budget buyer.
Hawk Hunting Helium 3 Pack Climbing Sticks
This is an ultra lightweight, yet very sturdy climbing stick that offers very reliable tree climbing performance. Climbing trees has never been easier as it is with the Helium 3-Pack product. It is among the lightest climbing sticks on the market, thus making it be the most portable indeed. And what other factors have made it be such popular among the users and experts?
Benefits of the Product
- Superior Step Design: It comes with some boot gripping step grooves that are raised at the ends thus providing a superior non-slip performance. This offers added safety
- Safety and Security: In addition to the superior step design, the product also comes with a Tree Digger Teeth Bite system that ensures the stick attaches itself to the tree bark with a rock-solid stability
- Effective and Efficient Performance: It comes with tree attachment hooks that are rated Silent-Use, which are effective in offering fast, secure and easy noise-free attachment.
- Lightweight and Portability: It comes with just 2.8 pounds of weight and features 30” sections for improved portability when carrying to the woods.
- Not as sturdy as its expensive brothers.
This is the ultimate climbing stick. It features aircraft-grade aluminum with some impressive weight saving cutouts. It will save your money but not at the expense of your safety when you are climbing the tree. If you are running on a tight budget, this is one of the best climbing sticks you should consider.
Before you read this article, finding the best climbing stick must have been a tall order indeed. The huge variety of climbing sticks on the market must have made it a real difficulty for you to know what to grab. If you took your time to understand every step above and the details on the reviews of the top products on the market, you will absolutely end up with one of the very best climbing sticks you can ever find. Do your search and make your choice.