More often than never, the mounting system of a scope emerges as the weakest link in the chain. Remember that even if your optics and rifle are the high-end ones, if you don’t get it right at the mounting stage, then you won’t get it right when it comes to the sighting and shooting accuracy. The connection has to be tight and secure of at all straight and accurate shots are to be realized. On the other side, inconsistency will be paramount in the event that the connection isn’t proper or slight looseness is experienced. Choosing the best AR scope mount will, therefore, be one of the best moves that a gun owner will make.
What to Consider When Choosing a Scope Mount
With all the above in mind, there is still a problem when it comes to mounting, with the problem being that even an ill-fitting mount may at times seem to be quite secure and tight. You must, therefore, be very vigilant during the choosing period.
a) Fixed vs. Detachable Scope Mounting Systems
The first step is to choose whether you will be going for the fixed or the detachable mounts.
- Detachable Mounts: In this case, scope rings come with detachable bases. This allows the user to easily switch their scope from one firearm to the other. Though it will come with the hassles of re-sighting, it is to the liking of many that they use their favorite scopes on a number of the firearms they own. You will also be able to use the sights of your rifle anytime you wish to.
- Fixed Mounts: If you, however, plan to either never take off or to take off the scope on rare occasions, then the fixed mount is what you really want to consider. The fact that these mounts are little sturdier and are also relatively more lightweight will make them attractive even the more.
b) Scopes Mounts and Bases
The choice of mounting system you go for will also determine whether you will have to pick a scope base or not. It is important for you to know whether the scope mount you are going for is compatible with your rifle or not. This is because there are a number of rifle scope mount tapes with the main types being the weaver and the Picatinny rail mounts. However, most professionals will prefer rifles that are compatible with the dovetail mount as this has been proven to be more stable and durable.
c) The Choice of Material
There are a number of material choices at your disposal to choose from. These include hardened steel, hardened aluminum and the alloys of aluminum. Sintered steel and zinc alloy mounts are also available. The best AR scope mounts as far as durability is concerned will definitely be the solid steel and high-grade aluminum types.
d) Size & Weight
Remember that you will be carrying your gun for extended periods of time in the jungle. You don’t want something that is too large and too heavy. An average weight of about 7 ounces and a 5-inch long product will be good enough. Anything too much on the higher end and you have a product that comes with a lot of carrying challenges.
The best AR scope mounts needs to be as easy to install as it is easy to open a soda can and consume. In other words, the best products should be easy to install without having to refer to the manual and instruction guide.
There is an aspect of proper scope positioning by the scope mount you choose. If it is a scope mount that keeps the eyepiece of the scope very close to your eyes, don’t go for it. Let the best AR scope mount you go for also come with an excellent cheek weld.
Reviews of the 5 Best AR Scope Mounts
LaRue Tactical QD Cantilever Scope Mount - LT104
When full tactical rings are what you are pursuing, then this would be one of the best AR scopes mount out there for you. Just like in the case with other tactical rings, attachment and detachment of your scope will be as easy as ABC. You won’t need to worry anymore about re-zeroing issues. The cantilever feature makes it super easy to attach and detach a scope, something that makes this product to be amongst the very best QD scope mounts you can come across in the market.
- Industry Standard: This mount is the best AR scope mount in the market as it has been designed to help in the attachment of high-power riflescopes on flattops
- Easy Assembly and Use: Within just a few couple of minutes, assembly and adjustment will be complete. And with the cantilever, attachment, detachment and obtaining of proper eye relief are made quick and efficient.
- Quality Design: The tool features a precision-machined bar-stock aluminum that has in turn been anodized thus guaranteeing durability and dependability.
- Comes with Extras: Together with the mount come spare mounting screws, instructions, wrench and a QD adjustment wrench.
- May not fit a few scopes in the market.
The popularity of this product is credited to its innovative backbone, connecting the split vertical rings. This offers a more robust optics platform, increased repeatability together with eliminated need for lapping. This only supplements the already much thought of design of the other parts, which has been meant to withstand any form of abuse.
The Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer
Looking for the best AR scope mount? This product has specially been designed to offer you more reliability and durability than you had anticipated for your AR-15 rifle. Coming with a quick detachment feature together with top rings for versatile use with either the flat top or the Picatinny rail, mounting the product is easy, in addition to its unmatched strength.
- Versatility: Whether you are working with a flat top or a Picatinny top, this mount works well with either. It also features a 20 MOA of inbuilt cant.
- Quality Design: The mount has been designed with high quality and very solid material.
- Fit & Finish: It features a very impressive fit & finishes that are at par with all the other Burris products you know of.
- Different Sizes: It comes in 1-inch size, 30mm and the 34mm option, allowing up to 2” of forward scope positioning
- Easy Use: Comes with a quick detach feature that makes it hold zero for easy detachment and reattachment.
- The mount is a little bit heavy though not very bad
- It is a little bit too pricey
- If you feel this is important, it is made in china
For a product to have a rating of 4.8/5 star after over 300 reviews, then this product must be a standout in the crowd.
Springfield Armory M1A Generation 4 Scope Mount
There is almost nothing in the market that is capable of beating this scope mount when it comes to either performance or pricing. It features a quality sturdy aluminum construction that offers great versatility thus can be used with a wide range of guns and scopes. And above the receiver of the mount is provided a Weaver-style rail.
- Durability: This scope mount features a rugged construction that makes it reliable for any terrain and stresses.
- Accompanying Instruction Guide: Unlike the case of some of the scope mounts in the market, this one comes with an instruction guide that makes mounting easier.
- Quality Design: It features a Sturdy aluminum construction that offers a Picatinny-style rail, featuring three-points of contact to the receiver
- Comes as a Set: All the required hardware and instruction guide have been included in the package.
- It comes with super big mounting screws which are rare within its price range
- For it to work, you need to do some fitting (Though not so much a big deal, it’s worth knowing)
For a medium range product that offers reliability, durability and great performance, this is one of the best AR scopes mount you can put your trust on.
Sadlak Industries M14/M1A Lightweight Airborne Model Steel Scope Mount
Was I to be asked to start and stop an article with just a single scope mount, this would be my best bet? It is a scope mount that is commonly used by airborne soldiers during combat deployments. This product is Sadlak Industries’ improvement of the old Brookfield Tool & Machine mount, one of the most durable and reliable mounts to have hit the market during the 1990’s.
- Reliability: This product, just like any other Sadlak Industries mount, is durable, reliable and offers perfect stability.
- Military Grade: When it comes to rifles and their accessories, there is no doubt that those used by the military are the best in the market. This scope mount has been built with the military combat operations features and specs and greatly used by the armed forces.
- Good Price to Performance Ratio: When you look at its price alone, you will not buy this scope mount. However, its performance vindicates its cost.
- Easy Installation: It is easy to install, thanks to the many tutorials that are all over YouTube and other sites.
- When compared to other mounts, it very expensive
- Little forward rail space for thus limiting those in need of a longer eye relief
If you have used a number of scope mounts before and the Brookfield Tool and Machine mount is one of such mounts you have used, then you already have a jest of what this product offers.
The Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer
This is the best AR scope mount for those looking for a simple offset mount. Coming with two wings that have been designed on a single piece of the mounting solution, the product is easy to use and durable indeed. It is also characterized with thumbscrew securing knob types which are nice indeed since they can be fast enough to release if at all they hadn’t be ratcheted.
- Price: Its price is the greatest advantage that would make you consider going for it. It is the best AR scope mount for the money.
- Reliable and Dependable: The fact that the mount has undergone and passed the rigorous field tests for performance makes it a very dependable tool. As long as you are using a 1-inch rifle scope, you can always depend on this mount.
- Portability: This is a very lightweight mount as compared with other mounts on the market. It thus adds negligible weight to your rifle thus making it easy to move around with.
- Solid Construction: The scope mount features a solid metal construction that offers great dependability and durability.
- Elegance: There is always some elegance in the simplicity of a product. And to add on this, the product features some even coatings that even further boost the great looks of the mount.
- It comes with the star type screws rather than the typical head screws hence pain to use
- If your scope is oddly shaped, look for another mount as this one won’t work.
- No extra railing accessories hence limited possibilities of adding extra accessories.
This is one affordable mount that offers an elegant mounting solution for those shooters who aren’t interested in having those many fancy extras. Since it lacks some capabilities, it isn’t for everyone.
The most important thing is to find the best AR scope mounts. It also important to know that finding the best of these products requires a lot of sacrifice as it takes quite some considerable amount of work. This is because there are various options that are available in the market, each coming with its own strength, versatility ability and price etc. hopefully, as at now, the puzzle has been made easier giving you a better idea of how to fill the remaining parts of the complex puzzle.